Header photo

I took this photo in the eastern Sierras, off Highway 395, at the Owens Gorge Road. I love those mailboxes and every time we travel to the Sierras, we drive by them just to see them!

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Thermal date grove February 7, 2009




My last post showed how the farmers irrigate the grape vineyards. Last night I drove home through the date groves. This is how they irrigate them. They flood the groves and the water travels along long rows. It's similar to the vineyards, but a LOT more water is used. In fact, when I walked out to take these photos, I sunk into mud in an area that I thought was dry! It's just that the water spreads out. The date palms need DEEP watering and this is how the farmers do it.

1 comment:

Maithri said...

Wow! A grove of date palms...

Thanks for sharing this moment of beauty,

Maithri