Header photo

I took this photo in the eastern Sierras, off Highway 395, at the Owens Gorge Road. I love those mailboxes and every time we travel to the Sierras, we drive by them just to see them!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

In search of Ocotillos~This Way Thursday 030410





























Last weekend I set out in search of some ocotillos which should have been blooming up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert. Now, this highway twists and turns through our local mountains and travels from 200 feet above sea level to over 4,000 feet. I travel this road on the weekends that I go visit my horses. It is one of the most dangerous roads in California and it also is a killer highway. Hardly one weekend goes by without someone having an accident on it. Either they're driving too fast or they aren't paying attention to the road. However, if you just slow down and take your time, it isn't too bad to drive. I do have a good friend who refuses to drive it and I've offered to let her ride with me sometime. She just doesn't wish to drive it alone. Anyway, on this particular Saturday morning (hubby was still asleep), I left our desert home about 6:30 a.m. and drove up Highway 74 to try to take some pics of the ocotillos along this road. There was absolutely NO traffic on it, so a couple of times I was just able to stop and take some photos! Other times, I pulled off onto turnouts and walked back to take them. The morning sunlight was gorgeous, with that nice, soft yellow morning light. I'm glad I had this opportunity to finally take some photos of the ocotillos and the road! This Way Thursday for March 4, 2010.

No comments: