Header photo

I took this photo in the eastern Sierras, off Highway 395, at the Owens Gorge Road. I love those mailboxes and every time we travel to the Sierras, we drive by them just to see them!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Canyon wildflowers~Today's Flowers 040410







When I went for my morning walk on Saturday, I was surprised to see these desert shrubs growing right out of the canyon wall! Yes, they also cover the desert's sandy acres, but these were growing right out of the granite! They must have a deep root to be able to hold on like they do! They now dot our desert landscape and even grow up in our local mountains, to about 2,000 feet. I believe, if my memory serves me correctly, that they are called encilia, or brittle brush, and they are a part of the sunflower family. They certainly are prolific! They dot our desert landscape. Today's Flowers for 040410.

No comments: