Header photo

I took this photo in the eastern Sierras, off Highway 395, at the Owens Gorge Road. I love those mailboxes and every time we travel to the Sierras, we drive by them just to see them!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Obsidian dome~That's My World 081809




For many years now, as we travel through Mammoth Lakes, I have noticed a sign that points to Obsidian Dome. I've never taken that road. Instead, it is just on the way when we are traveling to another destination. However, last night, hubby and I drove down Obsidian Dome road (a dirt road) and were delighted to find it. There, glistening in the sun, was a whole hill of obsidian! Fortunately we arrived in the late afternoon, when the sun was shining on it, instead of in the morning, when we possibly wouldn't even have noticed the beautiful, black rock. It is what's called "snowflake obsidian" because not only is it black glass, from the lava cooling down quickly, but it is flaked with small particles of ash. How interesting! Obsidian Dome Road is located between Mammoth and June Lake, right off of Highway 395. The forest there is beautiful, too! That's My World for August 18, 2009.

4 comments:

Dorothy said...

Good Morning, Cheryl,
This is interesting! I would like to see that! Hope you have a good day.

Martha Z said...

Great shots, you caught it in good light. I've only been there in the middle of the day, not good for photography.

ninja said...

Nature is the best architect.

Lorac said...

Wow, I would love to see that! I am a rockhounder as well so I have a couple of pieces of snowflake obsidian but find that amazing! What a neat ind.